Tell Me About Yourself Interview Question
Tell me about yourself is one of the most common interview question. The moment you enter room and sit down, one of the member from the interviewing panel may ask you: Please introduce yourself. or Tell me something about yourself.
Preparing for this question before you go to any interview (MBA or non-MBA) is important. Why? It is the first question and first impression is the last impression. It also sets rhythm for follow-up questions. Experts are divided on the correct approach to this question. There are two viewpoints - one is that you should take conservative approach and second is that you should take liberal approach.
Your answer should be only limited to following things
- Extra Courses
- Work-ex (if any)
You should not mention hobby, family members, etc. because those things are considered informal conversation.
Apart from those details in conservative approach, you should also mention "Why you want to do MBA", family members and their occupation, hobby, extracurricular activity, notable achievements.
Which approach should you take?
You should prepare three versions of your answer - 2 minute, 5 minute and 10 minute. All of them must be at the tip of your tongue. For 2 minute answer take the conservative approach and for 10 minute answer take liberal approach.
If you don't prepare this at home, you will fumble during interview and you might forget mentioning some important information. You must also prepare all the routine 'followup' questions associated with "tell me about yourself" question.
Follow up Questions
Myself _____. OR My name is _____.
- What is the meaning of your name?
- Which famous personality shares the same name as yours.
I'm from ______. OR I belong to ______.
- What is famous about your city / town? tourism/culture/business.
- Which famous personalities are associated with your place?
I've done graduation in ______ from ______ in the year______ with ______.
- Why have you pursued _______ and now planning for MBA?
- Who was the founder of your college / university?
- Name a few famous personalities associated with your college/university?
For last _____ years, I've been working in _______ as a _______.
- What does your company/office do? What is the turnover?
- Nature of your work, powers and responsibilities?
- Why do you want to leave it?